When we purchased the house it was clear that there was a lot to do. Almost everything was in working condition, just really old looking, feeling and smelling. We determined that the first project would be to remove the wall paper from the house. It was a messy project that we thought should be done before we moved in. I had done some wallpaper removal for my parents in the past and considered tackling this job myself.

We intended to remove the paper prior to occupying the house, but that didn't work out.  The previous owner, an elderly individual, got hospilitalized during the closing, delaying us.  Every wall in the house had mid 1970's wall paper on it. Almost 3,000 sq ft of wall paper! Most of the paper was textured and completely encrusted in dust and dander. Just what a girl with fierce allergies wants! We had a peek under the paper a couple of times while touring the house (it was unoccupied, and had been for about a year) and noticed that the wallpaper was really well adhered, even after all of these years. In addition, it appeared to have an orange substance under it. Neither my husband nor I could identify this substance. Our real estate agent. who was also a contractor, called in his painters to give us a quote for removal. It turns our that every piece of wall paper in the house was adhered using a clay based wall paper glue. We did some research on working with this substance and it was at that time that my husband and I decided that paying a professional to do this job would be a good use of our resources. It was a wise decision. Those poor guys had a terrible time with it! Everyone and everything was orange. Didn't matter what color they were wearing when they showed up, by the end of the day everything was orange. Each day as they left and shuffled out into the snow (which really enhanced their orange glow), the same tune rang through my head :

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
Removing walpaper sucks, that much is true

The painters thought the job would take them 6 to 10 days. 7 weeks later they were done! I'm so glad I didn't attempt this particular job, I would still be doing it. Not to mention that at 4'10”, I would have become a perpetual, bitchy, Ooompa Loompa.